The Boise Braves MTB 2018 season is shaping up to be another great season of mountain bike riding and racing. The calendar is set with our Spring events and five races in the fall. As of today, we are officially in the pre-season and registration for the team is open.
Registration Notes & Pit Zone
Following are a few reminders and notes that might help answer some questions about registration:
• In order for a student-athlete to be covered by insurance during scheduled team practices the following needs to exist
1) The team needs to be registered and paid – COMPLETE!
2) The coaches need to be registered and paid
3) The student needs to be registered with season fees paid.
You will know your are set when the student-athlete shows up as “Practice Ready” in the Pit Zone online.
High School (grades 9-12) student-athlete
- Register online in the correct category. The default categories (absent an approved petition or placement based on last year’s results) are 9th graders register Freshman, 10th graders register Sophomore, 11th & 12th graders register Junior Varsity.
- Category upgrade request will be accepted now and must be submitted by the team director only. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request upgrade.
• The Placement chart for RETURNING 10th, 11th, and 12th graders can be found on the 2018 website page by CLICKING HERE. If you have questions on rider placement or you don’t believe the placement listed is correct please email email@example.com. Racing in the correct category is the responsibility of the rider. Please make sure you have any questions answered BEFORE you race. If you accidentally registered in the wrong category please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have your category changed.
Middle School (grades 6-8) student-athlete
- Select “middle school” as their category. Place in the category corresponding with their grade (6th, 7th or 8th). Please see the new 2018 rulebook or Idaho League Middle School Program document for details on the Idaho League Middle School rules.
- New Middle School Program!
- Due to the increased popularity of the NICA program with middle school aged student-athletes, the Idaho League is evolving our middle school rules to improve the overall experience for all students and to help reduce risk due to large field sizes. Therefore, new for 2018 you will see 3 primary middle school categories per gender (6th, 7th and 8th grade) and possible sub-categories (A, B or C) within each category based on total number of riders. Complete details of the program can be found HERE
PIT ZONE INFORMATION
Pit Zone will open for registration on April 1, 2018.
The Idaho League uses the NICA Pit Zone online registration system. This is a closed system meaning you must receive an email “invitation” to register as a new team, rider, or coach. You cannot simply register. So if you are interested in registering in one form or fashion you must request an invitation as follows:
– Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Ride Leaders and General Volunteers request an invitation from the Team Director
– Students are invited by the Team Director (email@example.com) or Head Coach (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wait, you requested an invite, but didn’t get the email…..check your SPAM filter first before sounding the panic alarms. If you still can’t find the invitation, email the person you originally asked for the invitation from and only then send out the cavalry.
If you have or have not used the Pit Zone system before, click HERE for the handy dandy NICA PitZone Manual. This is an overview from NICA to get you started using the system and will answer many of your questions.
If you are a RETURNING coach or rider on the same team — you can simply log in and register.
Coaches will receive an email (with a direct link) asking them to log into the Pit Zone, confirm their registration information and pay for the new season. The 2018 annual coach fee is tied directly to each coach’s insurance cost and NICA administration costs for managing the coach licensing program.
All new coaches must take the online background check when they join a team but returning coaches will be able to use their existing background check from prior season(s).
ALL coaches must do the following prior to participating in any bike related team activities:
1) Register in the Pit Zone
2) Complete the ELECTRONIC waiver in the Pit Zone
3) Pay the annual license fee
4) Complete the CDC Heads Up online concussion class and submit a copy of the completion certificate to email@example.com. Due to the serious nature of head injuries and the evolving science coaches are now required to complete this course each season. It only takes about 20 minutes online and is free. Here is the link : Idaho/CDC Concussion Training
Any coach/volunteer that has not obtained at least a NICA General Volunteer License (online registration, background check, annual coach fee, and wavier) is not authorized to participate in team activities and is not covered by ANY insurance.
What to expect next?
With pre-season here, you will start to see more communications from the BBMTB team about practices, upcoming events and race details. Please be sure to review all information in blogs (boisemtb.org), Team Snap (request invite) and monitor social media channels for updates about the Idaho League (idahomtb.org & facebook).
2018 Season Calendar
1 April – Idaho Interscholastic Cycling League (IICL) Pre-Season Starts
10 April – Parent Info Night (BHS Cafeteria, Location TBC), 6 PM
19 April – Registration for Desert Dirt Shredfest and Fundraising begins
26 April – BBMTB Full Team Meeting, CABI Social Hall at 6 PM
19 May – Desert Dirt Shredfest* at Larson-Miller Short Track, 9 AM – 12 PM
Fundraiser, Bike Safety Checks, Riding and Raffles – DesertDirtShredfest.com
* Try It Out trailer will be on location (30 bikes & helmets)
21-22 April – 2-Day Leaders’ Summit (new advanced curriculum for returning coaches)
- April 21-22, Boise (Avimor)
- June 23-24, Ketchum (Sun Valley)
1-Day Ride Leader Training
- May 12, Pocatello/Idaho Falls
- May 19, Boise (Conflicts w/DDS, consider 2 Day Summit)
13 June – Hill Climb, Military Reserve
22-24 June – BBMTB Bike Skills Camp at JUG Mountain Ranch, McCall
This is the marque event of the season. Please don’t miss it! Plan for an exciting weekend of camping, camaraderie, on-the-bike skills training, great food, games, and of course a lot of mountain biking fun. Carpooling and bike transfer available. More details to be posted on BBMTB Team Snap.
1 July – IICL In-Season Starts
7 July – Start of Weekly Practices **
**Practices will resume Mondays, Wednesdays evenings (6-8 PM) & Saturdays (8-11 AM) until race season starts end of August, at which time we will move practices to Tuesdays & Thursdays. Hot days/weeks with high temperatures will be back to 6:30 AM starts.
All practice details to be found on Team Snap. Request your invite. Contact you Team Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Race Series
- Race #1 : Magic Mania, Magic Mountain (tentative location) – 8/25/18
- Race #2 : Grand Charge, Grand Targhee Resort – 9/8/18
- Race #3 : Galena Gallop, Galena Lodge – 9/15/18
- Race #4 : Jug Jamboree, Jug Mountain Ranch – 9/29/18
- Race #5 : Bogus Boss, Bogus Basin Resort – 10/13/18 (Alternate Location Avimor)
- Make-Up Weekend : Either Bogus Basin or Avimor – 10/20/18